PC Security Forum

Full Version: Basics of Wireless Security...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Due to the high volume of recent request I decided to post this little checklist that I made for some of my customers and friends. I hope you all find it useful.
Basic Wireless Security:

Should be done:

- DO NOT use the default SSID
- DO NOT broadcast SSID
- Change the administrator Username/Password for your router
- Use WEP or WPA (if available on your router)
- Use MAC filtering if possible
- Limit the number of DHCP assigned IP address (or use static IP)
- Block ALL unassigned IP addresses
- Turn off default shares on the computer, set permissions for files that need to be shared.
- Turn off Printer sharing if it is not needed.

Optional: (not so basic)

- Limit broadcast range
- Use rotating WEPS
- When assigning IP addresses use class A or B IP’s and a class C subnet (sort of a Security through Obscurity technique against people scanning for active IP’s)
- Use a form of data encryption during transfers
- Rotate assigned IP addresses

In addition to these wireless security percussions that must be taken you must also remember to:

- Keep your operating system fully updated.
- Be sure to update your antivirus program
- Use Strong passwords (a good password should be at least 8 characters long, contain both upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters)
- Change your password every few months
- DO NOT use standard passwords (i.e. the same password for everything)
- Be careful what you download
- Use a program such as Ad-aware, or Spybot search & destroy to help control adware/spyware
- Use a firewall, there are many free software firewalls available.
To connect your computers together has traditionally involved having some physical medium running between them. Wireless users face one key threat having their data, passwords and so on intercepted during transmission. Always change the default admin password of wireless router, access point and bridge.
WEP is weak security anyway but eircom foolishly derived the SSID (which is
broadcast) from the WEP key on each router. It's been known for some time
that some people discovered it was an easy hack to reverse engineer the SSID
and get the WEP key allowing simple access to the wireless network.
Wireless access points SSID, or access point, which usually is not necessary the name of the broadcast can be configured. Wireless users face a significant risk: your data is password, and so on during the broadcast stopped.
Its really good information, I have never heard about this !!
Wireless users face one key threat having their data, passwords and so on intercepted during transmission. Always change the default admin password of wireless router, access point and bridge.
To connect your computers together has traditionally involved having some physical medium running between them. Wireless users face one key threat having their data, passwords and so on intercepted during transmission. Always change the default admin password of wireless router, access point and bridge.
Cracking methods have become much more sophisticated and innovative with wireless. Cracking has also become much easier and more accessible with easy-to-use Windows or Linux-based tools being made available on the web at no charge.
Your WAP has a identifier name called the SSID, and is set to a absence name by the accouterments manufacturer. Change this name to something else. This will lot in fact advance security.
By default, all WAPs or the aforementioned archetypal accept the same password, and these passwords are broadly known. Change your default password to anticipate unauthorized humans from alteration your WAP configuration.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's