Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to bring a new rig online safely?
03-16-2016, 08:35 AM
How to bring a new rig online safely?
Just about every book, blog, etc., tells the same story. The first time you bring a new computer onto the internet it comes under attack within minutes, and by the first hour, its infested by any malware that made it through. Trouble is, no one ever tells us newbies how to prevent this. I've a new rig I will soon need to connect to the internet. Not sure if Microsoft still activates XP Pro online, or if one must now do it by phone. Either way, I will still need to go online to download Kerio 2.1.5, antivirus, antispyware, Virtualbox, etc. Everyone says don't go online until you have all defenses in place, but one has to go online to download those defenses to get them in place! Catch22? I could use some advice on what to do, and how/when to do it, to get my new PC safely up and running. Thanks for listening.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2016, 12:50 PM
RE: How to bring a new rig online safely?
Don't worry. It's not that hackers are waiting on you to go online and they will attack as soon as you do so. You can go online keeping Windows built in firewall activated and download Kerio or Tinywall, an antivirus and any other security utilities you like. You will need to disable your built in firewall for the new firewall to work properly.

Also, depending on the way you connect to Internet, it may be that your router itself may have a built in firewall which will protect you against some of the common hacking attempts.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-19-2016, 01:55 AM
Best Advice : Dont use Windows XP anymore !!! Microsoft stopped support, so basicly XP is history.
Also XP probally wont regonize the hardware of your new rig.
No money for Windows 7, 8, 10 ? and youre not playing newest games, try Linux.

But if at all costs going on with XP ?
Disconnect from internet, then install XP. During install XP can be attacked because defenses arent ready yet.
I've seen it happen. (if router doesnt have firewall)
XP install ready ? Make sure firewall is activated. Then reconnect to internet and activate XP.

Link to more advice
03-22-2016, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2016 08:52 AM by Orindaen.)
(03-18-2016 12:50 PM)Aakash Wrote:  Don't worry. It's not that hackers are waiting on you to go online and they will attack as soon as you do so. You can go online keeping Windows built in firewall activated and download Kerio or Tinywall, an antivirus and any other security utilities you like. You will need to disable your built in firewall for the new firewall to work properly.

Also, depending on the way you connect to Internet, it may be that your router itself may have a built in firewall which will protect you against some of the common hacking attempts.

Many thanks for the advice. I had planned on buying a wired-only router until I saw that 'wired.com' article. Now I have decided to go for a DIY router, so I'm in shopping mode for a used PC to run either pfSense or Untangle (got both CDs from OSDisc.com so I could install offline). I think both have NAT & SPI. Finding a suitable PC is giving me a major pain though. The cheap ones are all Dell or HP, which never seem to list the motherboard in use, so I cannot check to see if it has the PCI-E 2.0 slot I require for a Intel dual-port NIC, and can accommodate the 80GB SSD hard drive I got. Any tips?

(03-19-2016 01:55 AM)Golempie Wrote:  Best Advice : Dont use Windows XP anymore !!! Microsoft stopped support, so basicly XP is history.
Also XP probally wont regonize the hardware of your new rig.
No money for Windows 7, 8, 10 ? and youre not playing newest games, try Linux.

But if at all costs going on with XP ?
Disconnect from internet, then install XP. During install XP can be attacked because defenses arent ready yet.
I've seen it happen. (if router doesnt have firewall)
XP install ready ? Make sure firewall is activated. Then reconnect to internet and activate XP.

Link to more advice

Your assistance is appreciated. From what you wrote I assume I should install XP Pro offline, try to activate by phone, engage its firewall, engage the DIY router, connect to the internet, download the security utilities, disconnect from the internet, replace the Windows firewall with Kerio, make sure all the other security utilities are set up, then reconnect to the internet. Did I miss any steps, or get anything wrong?

I agree about Linux. My rig has three HDDs. One for XP Pro and one for Linux (NetSecL), plus I expect to run Puppy 5.7.1 Retro as LiveCD from RAM (will probably try to teach myself Linux via Puppy).

As for XP, when I decided to go with it I did extensive study over the last few years. The legacy components of my custom-build were chosen specifically to suit it, and I'm confident I know how to make it
secure....provided I can get it over this first hurdle.

Thanks for the link. I mostly agree with what it says, although not a big fan of Fast User Switching, Flash, Acrobat, or Java. Too little benefits to justify the major effort of overcoming the load or exploits, plus all the privacy violations (forever cookies, browser fingerprinting, etc.).
03-23-2016, 12:55 AM
I ment install XP offline.

(If you already have an external firewall (DIY) or a router wilth simple firewall you wont need to disconnect from internet.)

While still offline check if firewall is active or install the firewall you want.
Connect to internet and activate XP.
Normal activation or by phone.
Next update, restart, update, restart, update ... Windows. Rolleyes
After updates good time to make a backup image for easy/fast reinstallation.

Then install security tools you want.

Other option is to run Linux and install Windows XP in VirtualBox.
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-X...VirtualBox

A seperate PC for firewall, maybe Raspberry Pi is good solution.
Quiet and much less power usage.
04-21-2016, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 11:05 AM by Chistopher.)
Keep the security tools update regularly, keep running Firewall in any situation. BTW, don't visit dubious sites!
Cauz FitnessLance can enters the system when there is a loophole. You'd better scan the system frequently so that can delete FitnessLance or likewise items timely!
07-26-2016, 03:48 PM
It's not that online hackers are waiting on you to go on the internet and they will attack as soon as you do so. You can go on the internet keeping Ms windows integrated firewall program triggered and obtain Kerio or Tinywall, an anti-virus and any other protection resources you like.
01-23-2017, 05:02 PM
I have no idea of it. I have meet the same issue, but I search the solution from GoogleBig Grin