Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
IP Address Query
03-15-2010, 07:00 PM
IP Address Query
A quick query. To connect my Wii to the internet I use a Nintendo dongle.

McAfee firewall blocked it.

I looked up in the McAfee "Network" tab the IP address of my PC and the Wii, which was now shown in the diagram.

I added the Wii number to the trusted list, and now it works.

BUT I have noticed another IP address when I click the little computers in the task bar.

Which is correct ? Seems McAfee picks up the local IP address.

By using this, have I opened my pc to others whop may share that address ?

Should I ring my internet provider to get a more specific IP address for the Wii ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2010, 03:12 PM
RE: IP Address Query
Nothing is going to tell you the MAC address of something that is not within your local broadcast domain! You'd have to get some code to run in the local broadcast domain of the remote IP address and have it forward you the information.And PPP links don't have MAC addresses.A MAC address is an Ethernet thing and you don't run PPP over Ethernet.So I would assume that the original question was asking for a MAC address of an Ethernet adapter that was not local to the computer but that was in the local broadcast domain nothing else makes much sense.
11-05-2010, 05:47 AM
RE: IP Address Query
I like to use something like SNMP. If your DHCP server in the Cisco Equipment, which is feasible. However, because it is in the PC, which makes it Difficult. You may be able to use SNMP to query the device is connected to the switch. Phone has been to maintain sufficient flow should always be in our ARP table on the switch. It may not always be used in PC, because the phone will be updated regularly communicate with DHCP leases.