Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Increase PC performance in 6 easy steps
06-01-2010, 06:15 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2010 05:25 AM by Aakash.)
Increase PC performance in 6 easy steps
I always have a knack for doing things in the most efficient ways. When it comes to Technology and computers, it is pertinent to say that I always find smarter & faster ways to finish tasks. If performance is in your attitude, shouldn't your pc be performing optimally? Here are few steps you can implement to increase your pc performance & make it work optimally.

Now, if you're pc is one of those older age under-performing machines, the first and foremost step would be to upgrade it to increase performance, and that's so obvious. However, most of the older hardware is not so easy to upgrade barring computer memory.

Step 1: Increase computer memory
Adding more RAM can really speed up your dying system since it gives more headroom for the applications to run. The more memory you can add, the better it is. However, older memory modules tend to be costlier, so upgrade wisely. Speed up your computer instantly with a RAM upgrade

The other steps will allow you to speed up your computer, free of charge since they are just tweaks to applications already installed on your computer.

Step 2: Uninstall unnecessary software
Majority of people have a horde of programs install that they are never going to use. How many do you have installed in your system? What utility are they serving? Nothing. Remove and uninstall all the unneeded software & you'll free up some precious space for all those applications that need it.
Download Revo uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_unin...nload.html

The free version does a great job too. Get rid of the software that got installed with your freeware, file-sharing programs or toolbars etc.

Step 3: Keep tab on your system tray and start up entries
Let's take a look at what is starting at boot up. Remove all those messenger programs Yahoo, MSN, AOL, gtalk etc. from start up. You can always start them in case needed. Remove Winzip's tray icon, Winamp tray icons, file sharing downloaders and all other that's taking your precious memory. Watch out you don't accidentally remove your antivirus real time scanner or anyting important.
How do you do all this?
In windows, start, run, type "msconfig" without quotes & go to startup tab. Uncheck all that is not needed.

Step 4: Clean up system
Apart from removing software, there are still many junk files laying around doing nothing but consuming space. Get rid of all this. Run Ccleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

& carefully remove everything that is scans and finds unusable.

Now is the time to give system a restart.

Step 5: Optimize & defrag registry
Registry optimization is important. We'll run a good, reliable registry optimizer now to scan & fix registry errors, look for orphaned objects & references and remove them. There are a bunch of registry cleaners available in market and many of them are even free. We'll use one of the best & free registry cleaner. Download Eusing Free Registry Cleaner here
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_clea...leaner.htm

After cleaning registry. We'll also do a registry defragmentation. So many people overlook it. It is crucial for your windows performance. Free registry defrag does a nice job of defragging registry. Download here http://www.registry-clean.net/free-registry-defrag.htm

Make sure to stop most of your running processes, browser sessions, downloads, active icons in system tray before defragging registry.

Now it is time to restart the system.

Step 6: Defrag your hard drive
Although with the above five steps, you should notice a performance boost already. We are not finished yet until we do a disk defragmentation. If you have plenty of free time you can invest in other activities, I suggest you run disk deframentation and go check out other things. Disk Defragmenter will take some time up to properly optimize your disk. You can use the the built in disk defragmenter that microsoft ships with Windows or try this one http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

Once you are done with the steps above, your pc would be performing faster than ever. And, you can spare a little bit of your time to say thanks here or buy me a drink. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2010, 03:54 PM
RE: Increase PC performance in 6 easy steps
Thanks a lot for sharing such a useful information with us. The simple steps you provided for Increasing PC performance is highly beneficial and helping ...Thanks again.
Find all posts by this user
06-07-2010, 09:26 PM
The points that you have described for PC performance increment are really interested.The few more suggestions which I want to add here are:
CCleaner
CCleaner is a great little application that deletes cookies, clears cache, empties your recycle bin, etc.
Download CCleaner(from google)
Iinstall CCleaner then Run Cleaner it(note: This will clear your cookies which means your saved passwords and usernames will be gone)
Go to the Registry tab and Scan for Issues
{*]After its finished scanning click>Fix selected issues...>Fix All Selected Issues>Ok. Continue this process until scanning brings about no issues.
12-11-2010, 11:49 PM
The steps to increase a PC performance are given below.
1. Update your daily used software
2. Stop unnecessary services
3. protect your PC with the updated anti-virus.
4. clear the temporary files
5. don't install system related software
6. keep fragmentation
08-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Yes, the steps discussed above to increase PC speed is so helpful. But apart from this, you can also try PC Speed Maximizer software which is highly competent to remove all the invalid registry entries and also free up the extra hard disk which in turn results in great PC performance and speed.
07-10-2012, 05:20 PM
According to me, There are some steps to increase the pc performance.

1. Update your daily used software
2. Stop unnecessary services
3. protect your PC with the updated anti-virus.
07-24-2012, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2012 04:45 PM by Spessard9.)
Hey there, that is an awesome post!! thank you for sharing it, its very educational and helpful..very beneficial for me. hope for more tips on PC Performance.
08-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Slow PC speed always remain a major point of concern for PC users. The problem can happen both windows as well as Mac users. There are several factors which are responsible behind slow speed like clotting of unnecessary files, unusable programs, desktop full of icons and might be due to some other source of reasons. No matter what the reasons behind the slow pc speed are, but the fact is that once PC speed goes down you will have to face several serious problem while using it. You will notice several uncommon behavior like abrupt system shutdown, increased program load time, slow pc startup and closing time and so on. There are several manual steps are available which can be tried to get rid of slow speed. These steps include basic as well as complex steps. Basic steps can be performed by anyone but complex steps can be performed if you are technically well skilled or you can too perform it in presence of technical expert team.
09-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I just use some technique to speed up my PC.Clean all recent, temp, %temp% and Prefetch from Run.Though your tips help me more to speed up my PC.Thanks for sharing the idea.