Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to remove autorun.inf virus from pen drive
06-22-2010, 05:47 PM
How to remove autorun.inf virus from pen drive
Removable drivers are one of the main sources of virus, worm & trojan infections. Normally they are trigged by autorun.inf files residing on the drive itself. Autorun.inf is what loads in Windows when you insert the USB drive. It is essential to remove the malicious autorun.inf files not only from fixed drives but also from the source, and that is pen drive.

For a security point of view, you can always disable autorun and autoplay features on removable media.

How to disable the Autorun functionality in Windows on Microsoft Knowledgebase. This article lists all the various methods you can perform to disable autorun on different flavors of windows.

If you are sure you have a virus in your pen drive, perform the following steps to remove autorun.inf virus & its payload. Don't just rely on your antivirus, my AVG free version failed to detect it completely when I scanned the drive.

Insert the drive, don't just click or open it via Windows explorer, assuming your Pen drive is assigned letter L.

- Go to start, run, type "cmd" without quotes. It'll get you to dos prompt.
- Type attrib -h -r -s L:\autorun.inf (this will set attributes to file and unhide and make it readable if it is hidden)
- Type del L:\autorun.inf

If the commands executes successfully, your autorun.inf in the pen drive has been deleted. You can safely open your drive and scan it with a good antivirus or delete any unnecessary files or folders that smell as malware.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2010, 03:44 PM
RE: How to remove autorun.inf virus from pen drive
Pen drive is a removable driver, It is one of the main sources of viruses, worms and trojans infection. Usually trigged by autorun.inf files that reside on the drive itself. Autorun.inf is that Windows loads when you insert the USB key, It is important to eliminate malicious autorun.inf files not only from hard solids, but also by the source and the pen drive.
12-02-2010, 03:36 AM
The autorun.inf virus remove from pen drive simply follow bellow steps..

-Go to Run and type CMD
-change path type d: and enter
-Type Path like Format I: (Pen drive Path)
12-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Follow the instructions o remove Autorun.inf Virus from Pendrive Easily:

1.) Open Notepad and do not write anything in it. Just go to File > Save as (save it with the name: autorun.inf)

2.) Copy the autorun.inf file that you have created in the above step and paste in your “Pen Drives”

3.) Remove your drive.

After removing the pendrive, re-insert in your PC. Now your anti-virus will not detect any virus in your PC. And Your pendrive is 100% safe to use.
01-03-2011, 05:27 PM
You must try norton antivirus 2011 download . it will provide the advance and deep scan to your PC. you just scan your pan drive with this antivirus software its great,you will sureky solve your problem
12-09-2011, 10:00 PM
You should use some good antivirus and do a virus scan using it.Doing this will remove autorun form your drive.
10-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Any good antivirus will remove the autorun.inf from removable media. Nod 32 is a good anti-virus.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-26-2014, 10:25 AM
How to remove autorun inf virus from pen drive
--The first time I tried to remove it, there were three viruses in the list and 2 were removed and that one remaind with a message saying something to the effect that there was a problem and that one could not be removed.

After that any time i try to remove it it acts as if it is removed from the list, but if i run the virus scan again its right back in the list.

Te quiero no por quien eres, sino por quien soy cuando estoy contigo