Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Every possible Mode of Attack?
11-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Every possible Mode of Attack?
They say that hackers are always one step ahead of the average PC user.
I recently read a few articles that alarmed me to the core and got me thinking, how do I know my PC isn't infected, even if my Antivirus says it is, and how do I find out?
Here are a few possible modes of attack:
1. You download a file. Ok, not stupidly from an unsafe location, but one from a "safe and trusted" site that gives out genuine free, share and other ware. The hacker has simply edited that "safe program" 's code and injected it with a split .exe virus file that simply bypasses conventional scanners.
It could even be a keylogger that records all your keystrokes, including your creditcard details n PIN. God knows which blackmarket your details are being peddled now ..
2. Websites that execute a code once you simply open them. Yup, you google up a site, open it and kaboom, a virus is executed and is probably wreaking all hell in stealth. You and I know its very very possible.
3. Downloading torrents and their files, even from trusty clients like utorrent and Bittorrent. Similar to no.1, the uploader has shared a genuine program, be it a game, movie, music or program, whose code is simply modified or injected with a virus, trojan, malware, spyware or worm that conveniently bypasses your AV scanner.
That means, the general guidelines we've been given to follow in order to detect viruses, like look for the.exe extension, or suspiciously small file sizes, wierd formats and other such criteria No longer hold ground, as our beloved hackers have simply moved on to better techniques.
There is even a way of hiding a file extension. So virus.docx.exe will now show up as virus.docx. How innocent, aw.
4. Viruses that get downloaded by attachment or other ways, duplicate themselves and send themselves out to your email contacts are pretty passe. The newer and smarter ones, remain virtually undetected, have NO registy entries, mess with your BIOS settings (God forbid) and populate and multiply somewhere, destroying your computer permanently.
Example: What they can do, is perhaps, find out what is going on. The AV scanner could be scanning, and once it falls upon this particular file, adds it to the scanned item list as an ordinary file. But our little virus here simply uses that as a command to replicate itself into a permanent backup, that has embedded itself into the very groins of the computer. Hence, even on full format, it remains as a very important system file that replicates itself upon re-installation.
5. There could be other threats as well, like hacking a patch meant for an antivirus, or an update, and injecting those with malicious code. Ticket to computer limbo.
Couple of question I'd like to interject with, if I may. Is there a folder or cache that exists, where every bit of data is stored, from the very first second of going online, that perhaps the computer refers to or uses as a prefetch? Maybe a browser cache, or whatever, and where is it located? I want to set that as a watch folder for my AV scanner. Thats the typical Chernobyl reactor for me. The spawn location of possible attacks.
I'd also like to know, what would the geek do? And which Antivirus program would he use?
I just hope hackers havent chanced around and picked up any of this. In fact, to the contrary, isn't this forum (and other such sites) going to be their news feed, where they get all their updates and info on the progress leaps we've all cheerily made in Antivirus security? Uh-oh, I've scared myself so much, that I'm going to pull the internet plug off. Perhaps even the plug on my computer.
I think I'll go watch some cable TV.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2016, 03:27 PM
RE: Every possible Mode of Attack?
There are different kinds of antivirus application a thief can use to secure his/her PC. But there is no antivirus application that defends your PC from all risks. Therefore a individual cannot depend on his/her antivirus application to secure his PC. You also have to take some actions to make sure you Computer remains secure.
10-05-2017, 09:26 PM
RE: Every possible Mode of Attack?
There are many tricks that the cyber criminals and hackers use to infect the user system. So it is fairly important to scan your system with the good security program.
Despite of this, it is also important to be careful while browsing the web, downloading anything specially the free programs, apps, games, and many others.
Moreover, it is also important to recognize and prevent malware infection and defend our systems from malicious software and cyber criminals.

So, if your PC is running running slow, crashing, getting popup ads, or your hard drive is acting suspiciously then this is clear sign your PC is infected with virus or malware infection.