Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BlackBerry Programming 101 - How to Get Started With BlackBerry Software Development
07-14-2011, 07:05 AM
BlackBerry Programming 101 - How to Get Started With BlackBerry Software Development
The success of newer BlackBerry models like the Pearl, Curve, Bold and Storm have allowed RIM (Research in Motion) to penetrate the consumer smartphone market and go head-to-head with the Apple iPhone as an application platform. If you've been ignoring the BlackBerry platform because it was too Enterprise-focused for your applications, it might be time to specifically target the BlackBerry. Here's how you get started.

It's Java Time

BlackBerry development for all recent models is done exclusively in Java. So if you're not a strong Java programmer, now's the time to brush up on your Java programming skills. (C# programmers will find the transition to Java fairly simple, the languages are very close in most respects.) Don't learn about the newest Java features, however, because the BlackBerry platform is built on top of Java Micro Edition (Java ME), which is itself a derivative of Java version 1.3. So forget all the fancy (but useful) language features introduced in Java 1.5 -- generics, enumerations, and so on -- you can't use these in BlackBerry programming. You can't also use most of the library classes you're familiar with -- they're just not there. A small subset of the Java Standard Edition (Java SE) classes are supported, as well as a number of BlackBerry-specific classes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2011, 02:30 AM
RE: BlackBerry Programming 101 - How to Get Started With BlackBerry Software Development
Once you have brushed your Java, you need to spend time understanding the Java me platform, which was formerly known as Java 2 Micro Edition, or J2ME for short.
01-01-2013, 07:28 PM
RE: BlackBerry Programming 101 - How to Get Started With BlackBerry Software Development
Black Berry software development need to well aware with Java programming language. All Black Berry development is done Java. BlackBerry platform is built on top of Java Micro Edition (Java ME), which is itself a derivative of Java version 1.3.So you need to become a strong programmer in this version.