Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Ways to protect your Home Computer
07-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Ways to protect your Home Computer
If the installed operating system is Windows. Make sure you have the following:

Updated and patched copy of windows, updated to its latest service pack with all the critical & other security updates installed.

Separate password protected accounts for each user. Guest account functionality turned off if not specifically required. Besides, A guest account makes your pc prone to local hacking (by physical access). Also, try not to use an administrator account all the time. Use it only when needed.

A decent antivirus software installed with updated virus definitions. Without an updated virus database, it is almost useless.

A good solid firewall working in background. A lot of them are freely available for personal use and are sufficient to protect a normal home computer from invasions. Shed your dependency on Windows built in firewall.

A good-quality antispyware software installed. It also must be updated to its latest. It is important that you regularly check and update its definition database.

A properly configured internet browser with all the necessary patches and security fixes.

Other than these, you also need to be conscious of your system's security. Download only from trusted sources. Think twice before installing a suspicious program. Do not open email attachments blindly. Make sure to scan removable drives like pen drives before using.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-17-2010, 03:19 AM
RE: Ways to protect your Home Computer
Hi
I have Norton 360 installed.But I am concerend that my computer is infected.It is slow and I keep getting this sign when I try to log off:

`Other people are logged on this.Are you sure you want to quit?

As well as this:

`Theres an IP conflict with another system on the network'

I live in a shared house and four of us in seperate rooms use Virgin WIFI

Is there anything I should be checking or am I worrying about nothing?

Help would be very much appreciated
Find all posts by this user
02-17-2010, 04:00 AM
It'd help if you had given a little more detail about your system. Processor speed, RAM, installed operating system etc.

I'll assume you have Windows Xp or Windows Vista Installed with around 512mb-1gb of memory.

Now Norton 360 is comprehensive all in one security suite. Although Symantec says "Norton 360 works quietly in the background, with virtually no impact on PC performance, to provide comprehensive protection for everything computer users care about," An All in one security suite means more overhead on the system performance....It means the software is running a number of tools in the background to protect yourself from viruses, spyware, botnets, identity thefts, firewall and so and so. These processes are running all the time even if you do not need some of them.

If you are always working on memory intensive applications running many programs simultaneously and then a system security suite on top of them on 512mb memory or less, system is bound to get slow.

PC may also become sluggish if it is infected with spyware or viruses etc. Don't think that since you have a security software working for you, everything is fine.

What you need to do:

1. Try running fewer applications simultaneously. Disable individual components of Norton 360 that you do not need. If low on memory, upgrade RAM.

2. Update the virus defitions to the latest. Boot in safe mode and run a thorough scan.

3. `Other people are logged on this.Are you sure you want to quit? message is displayed if you try to shut down your system with other users still logged on. You probably use user switching a lot and do not always log off others before logging on. Try logging other users off before shutting down and this message will vanish.

4. `Theres an IP conflict with another system on the network' occurs when two systems share the same IP address on the network. Manually assign IP addresses to all the pcs, laptops or devices and that will resolve this problem.

Let me know if this helps.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2010, 04:03 PM
There are different types of anti virus software that a person can use to protect his/her PC. But there is no anti virus software that protects your PC from all threats. Therefore a person cannot rely on his/her anti virus software to protect his PC. You also have to take some measures to make sure you Computer stays safe.

1. Never download any file which you think has adware,viruses or spy ware etc. If it is very important than scan it using an anti virus software. And then open it.

2. Make sure that all software in your computer is always fully updated. Especially your anti virus Software. Unupdated can be vulnerable to viruses.

3. Scan your PC at least once a day to make sure your PC isn't effected by Computer threats.
11-05-2010, 05:53 AM
Well, to protect your home computer then:

(1) Install anti-virus and update
(2) Use register anti-spyware/adware
(3) Secure your home network
(4) Use a firewall
(5) Do not use IE
(6) Beware of attachments
(7) Be careful with dangerous websites
(8) Keep your personal information with password protected
12-02-2010, 03:47 AM
For Protect Home Computer follow bellow Instruction
-Install Licence Version of Anti Virus Software
Use Original version of Operating System
-Install and Use Firewall Program
-Use Strong and Powerful Password
-Always Create Important File And Folder Backup
12-03-2010, 01:46 PM
There are several ways to protect your computer for these you have to install the anti virus and also you have to update regular and it can provide so many things which is great to know about it.
12-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Be safe if you are in some network, install antivirus and keep on updating it, dont accept anything from unknown source
02-01-2011, 04:23 PM
I am just using a norton anti virus on my home PC and its provides full protection to get rid of any type of viruses and spywares !!
03-24-2011, 02:50 AM
I read all the comments and it is a interesting and nice one to save the home P.C. I use the some of the tips to protect mine computer and some of the tips are new for me . I hope this tips are benefit to me and the other person .
Thread Closed