Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how to protect yourself from keyloggers
12-17-2009, 03:28 PM
how to protect yourself from keyloggers
I´ve heard about people with their 12DP accounts hacked, even their e-gold accts in some cases!
In fact a friend of mine lost $2000 this way 3 months ago so probably this is not so uncommon like you think it is.

So I´m going to explain a little but very useful security tip.

I guess most of the people know what a keylogger is, but I´ll make a short introduction for those who don´t.
A keylogger is a program like a virus, when it infects your computer it remains hidden everytime you turn it on. Everything looks ok but the keylogger is there working, registering all your keystrokes and sending all the info to the "hacker". Then it´s not really so difficult to steal passwords from other people´s computers using this kind of programs. And you´ll notice nothing unusual until you login to your e-gold account and see all your money has magically vanished, or try to login to your 12DP account and get the "Incorrect login" message... or something worse, who knows!

The problem is that some keyloggers are so sophisticated that an antivirus program cannot detect them. I have personally tested one of those keyloggers in my computer and my Norton (updated) antivirus didn´t block it, nor showed any warning... nothing! ...which is really worring.

Ok, so let´s get to the point.

Maybe you´ve seen that many bank websites ask you for enter your secret number or password using a virtual keypad in their own website instead of typing it. This is a security system designed to avoid keyloggers to register sensible data from customer´s computers.
Ok, but 12DP, E-Gold, etc. have nothing like that, you just have to type your password as usual, therefore you´re exposed to get your passwords stolen in case your computer is infected by a keylogger.

Now this is the interesting thing: you can use your "own" security system, similar to that used by banks, just intalling a "virtual keyboard" program. When you run this kind of programs, you´ll see a virtual keyboard on your screen, so you can "click" your passwords instead of typing them.
In fact I think these programs were designed as an accessibility tool, you know, for people with some kind of physical deficiency who are not able to type, but we can give it a very different application.
Of course "clicking" a password is slower than typing, but it´s much more secure, and there is no keylogger able to track your passwords that way! (as far as I know at least).

Where to get one of those programs? For windows users (the majority, I would say), go to microsoft.com and search "Microsoft Visual Keyboard" (compatible with Win98/NT/ME/2000/XP). It´s freeware!
If you want a program like that for Linux, Mac, etc. go to google and try searching "Visual Keyboard", "Virtual Keyboard", and probably you´ll find something. Good luck!

So in short: if you care your money please protect your passwords.

BTW, Microsoft Visual Keyboard doesn´t seem to work correctly with Firefox (what a pity!), but works nice with Internet Explorer.
After installing the program you can find the shortcut in Start > Programs > Microsoft Office Tools.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2010, 01:55 PM
RE: how to protect yourself from keyloggers
These article is really very interesting to know about it. This is a security system designed to avoid keyloggers to register sensible data from customer´s computers. In all these there are so many advance facility can be provided it into them.
02-08-2011, 08:26 PM
1. Enable your firewalls. This is especially important if you are hooked up to a DSL/Broadband connection. Firewalls are designed to prevent outside access to your computer. Being constantly connected to the Internet makes you even more vulnerable to keylogging hackers. A firewall won't stop the keylogger in a literal sense, but it may help prevent the transmission of the information back to the hacker.
2. Install anti-spyware and anti-virus software. Keylogger spyware often invades your PC system via viruses, Trojans and other malware. Your anti-spyware and antiviral are your first line of defense. A number of open-source and commercial applications are available online, to clean out any keyloggers that they detect.
3. Obtain and use an automated form-filler, particularly if you often enter personal or financial information at any website. These form fillers encrypt and save this confidential information and automatically fill it in, so you won't have to type it in.
4. Consider using an on screen keyboard. You would enter your information into this keyboard using your mouse rather than typing it in. Key-logging software can only record information that is typed in rather than entered with your mouse. Speech recognition software would serve the same purpose, as no keystrokes or mouse movements can register.
5. Get an alternative keyboard layout. Most of the keylogger software available is based on the traditional QWERTY layout. If you use a layout such as DVORAK, the captured keystrokes do not make sense unless converted.
6. Keep track of the programs that are running on your computer. Keyloggers tend to run in the background, out of sight. You can check the programs via the Task Manager by pressing (Ctrl + Alt + Delete). Your USB port and computer games such as the PS2 have been used to install keylogger software.
7. Use a one time password (OTP). An OTP is key logger proof, because once it is used, it is automatically invalidated. This is especially helpful if you are using a public computer.
04-13-2011, 09:17 AM
To protect against keyloggers are installed an antivirus and anti spyware software and keep them up to date.Most of these programs identify and abolish keyloggers that abide on your computer. Another step on how to protect yourself from keyloggers is through the use of automated form fillers in websites that prompts you for your password.
05-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Get a virus scanner.,Get a free anti-spyware program and run it.Install firewall software that prevents any unauthorized access between your computer and the Internet.Be sure to run the latest version of your browser software.On the subject of browsers, consider using Firefox.Be careful downloading files. That are the different ways to protect from keyloggers.
07-12-2011, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2011 05:19 AM by luthe74.)
Well! I'm very pleased with this thread.

Now these days we should be very alert about keyloggers because it has been become one of the most popular way to hack information.

Via reading this useful tips I feel relax about my computer security. I use Kaspersky Antivirus and it also works very well for me.

Thank you!
07-14-2011, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2011 09:06 PM by Schluter.)
Get a virus scanner.,Get a free anti-spyware program and run it.Install firewall software that prevents any unauthorized access between your computer and the Internet.Be sure to run the latest version of your browser software.On the subject of browsers, consider using Firefox.Be careful downloading files.
07-10-2012, 05:12 PM
These articles are really very interesting to understand it. This is a security system designed to avoid keyloggers, registration of sensitive data on the client computer. In all these, there are so many overdraft services can provide them.
08-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Keyloggers are great problem now against protecting valuable password. This post now help in this regard.Thanks for sharing.
08-28-2012, 07:17 AM
I never did understand keyloggers. Don't they have to have access to my physical computer to put it on there or can they add it through a virus? How do I know if I have one on my system?