Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Amazon Account Hacked Computer Infected?
08-20-2015, 12:31 AM
Amazon Account Hacked Computer Infected?
Hi,

Someone signed into my Amazon account and changed the email address. I received a phishing email from Amazon this morning saying my email address had been revised. I think it was a bit of coincidental timing because the email address wasn't the same as the one that the one in my account was changed to.

I automatically delete phishing emails, but if it doesn't contain a link, which this one didn't, I will typically type in the address of the website it's pretending to be and check things out.

So I go to log in and Amazon typically has my email address pre-populated (not the password). Yet, this time it was a completely different email address. I contacted Amazon and the email address had indeed been changed, fortunately no orders. They have locked the account pending review.

I am just wanting a little confirmation here. I am assuming the change had to start on my computer. Otherwise the new email address it changed to wouldn't have populated in my field. I am assuming a cookie is used on their site to do that. So that cookie shouldn't have been updated on my computer unless my computer was the one to log into the account with it, right?

I am running AVG and Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool at the moment, but no hits on either yet. I was going to use Malwarebytes, but I had to uninstall because it wouldn't update, and I tried to do it while I was chatting with Amazon, but it requires a restart. I will run it after these two finish.

Any thoughts? Thanks. David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2015, 03:15 AM
RE: Amazon Account Hacked Computer Infected?
Its a bit strange, malware that only changes you email-adress ?
Normally malware changes your password too.

Its probally not a cookie that keeps track of your emailadress.
The webbrowser keeps track of your emailadress if you clicked on "Yes, remember emailadress for this site"
or something like that.
If you see the new emailadress on your PC, then yes it must be changed on your PC.

You can also try scan with the Kaspersky Rescue disk.
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk
That way you can scan PC without starting up with the (infected) Windows.

You can checkout unknown websites before visiting the website with urlvoid.
http://urlvoid.com/
08-20-2015, 03:28 AM
Thanks. I will check those out as well.

Though, I did have the idea to check my wife's computer, as well as both of our phones because Amazon also remember the email address on these devices (same account). Sure enough, the email showed up the same everywhere.

Makes me feel like it's not my computer, hopefully, it's an Amazon issue.
08-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Wow this person. So, a little earlier today (after I noticed this issue) I receive an email from Amazon. Evidently this person contacted Amazon and convinced them to give them a refund on some RAM I purchased a few weeks ago ($160).

The only reason I know is because evidently the chat ended before the rep thought it should have. So she emailed apologizing, but said the refund would be processed.

So I called Amazon and they said the person requested it in a gift card form.
08-21-2015, 12:54 AM
So this was before Amazon locked your account ?
Amazon should look at customeraccount and check if email / password has changed
recently before giving refunds etc.
Contact customer on old email / phone to check.

Googled a bit, you are not the only 1.
https://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?cdFo...2Z1OHI02AT
08-21-2015, 01:15 AM
(08-21-2015 12:54 AM)Golempie Wrote:  So this was before Amazon locked your account ?
Amazon should look at customeraccount and check if email / password has changed
recently before giving refunds etc.
Contact customer on old email / phone to check.

Googled a bit, you are not the only 1.
https://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?cdFo...2Z1OHI02AT

I received the email several hours after, so I am assuming they contacted Amazon after the account was locked, but not for certain. Unless the email was just delayed. The weird thing is, when I called Amazon back they said they showed the email was sent to the person's email address not mine. Obviously they sent it to me, but it's weird they show they sent it to them. Maybe the rep was going on that assumption because the email had not been changed back in my profile yet.
08-21-2015, 03:13 AM
Nothing more you can do i guess. Only wait for Amazon investigation result.
07-21-2016, 04:12 PM
Have you performed a full security check of your computer? You may have some malware installed that has harvested your Amazon Log-in details. This sometimes happens when a customer clicks on a link in an email, for instance.