Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Protecting a website from hackers?
04-28-2012, 04:28 AM
Protecting a website from hackers?
Did a quick search and checked a few sections but I found nothing about this topic.

My friend and I have been designing sites and stuffs in the past but never really uploaded them in the web (as we're still n00bs Confused). He's a graduate of a two-year computer-related course while I'm just about to start college in the same field. It wasn't really his passion and eventually studied cooking/baking, and he's doing a good job in it that he started taking orders. And now he plans to set up a store. A Facebook Fan Page would be enough but he insisted that we also create a web site for it (design already in progress), complete with order forms and online payment, though we're only targeting local buyers.

Then this discussion about unsecured online transactions came up. I'm quite paranoid about this since I haven't tried buying online.

Could anyone give me a few tips in what to look at in setting up and coding a website? Do we have to hire a good web developer for it? And how safe are web servers and online payment?

Anyone who could help me gets a cookie. loljk Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2012, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2012 08:27 PM by PressAnyKey.)
RE: Protecting a website from hackers?
I've heard separating your database server from your website server improves security.

Also, buying online using Paypal is quite safe. At least for me. That's the only payment method that I've tried so far.

If you're planning to set up a business website, I think an ecommerce hosting works. Though I'm not sure about suggesting this since, as you said, you're only targeting local buyers.

I think a Facebook Fan page would help in promoting your business. And it's free, too. Though if you're planning to take the business seriously having your own website with a shopping cart is a must.
04-28-2012, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2012 01:19 AM by CandiceCandies.)
RE: Protecting a website from hackers?
Thanks for the input, PressAnyKey.

I agree with you in Facebook fan page. I feel like building our reputation through social networks first then put up a web site for flexibility as I think Facebook is quite limited.

Ecommerce hosting with a shopping cart sounds good. But don't you think it's too early? We're willing to spend a few bucks but I think I should be careful in choosing one. And I'm not sure how safe they are.