Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is this harmful to my HDD??
02-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Is this harmful to my HDD??
Hi all,
I need to know: a system with two HDD, one with operating system and the other with my documents.
Suppose that while connected to the internet a virus is downloaded to the second hdd (i.e. the one with my docs) would it infect the other hard drive(i.e. the one with OS)
I know that the anti virus should prevent this from happening but one never knows.
Thanks guys..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2010, 06:23 PM
RE: Is this harmful to my HDD??
It sure will, if you tried to access the second hard drive. Antivirus with real time protection should prevent this from happening, but, because of the complex nature of malware these days, you can never be sure. One of the basic attribute of viruses is that they try to spread. They will try to move from one drive to the other, one storage media to the other. The best bet is to be watchful and have a good antivirus installed with updated virus signatures.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2010, 05:55 AM
Disconnect any additional hardware. This should stop any unnecessary drivers are loaded and reducing power (check the power supply fan spins freely, good air circulation, should walk out of) the load. You can enter safe mode. Click the F8 key quickly you would normally see in the first Windows screen. Look it seems quite stable, safe mode. Run Error Checking / CHKDSK on the hard disk (see the help and support). You can install and run Everest in safe mode, although it is too large, the transfer of floppy disks.
12-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Antivirus with real time protection should prevent this from happening, but, because of the complex nature of malware these days, you can never be sure. One of the basic attribute of viruses is that they try to spread
01-28-2011, 06:45 PM
(12-18-2010 03:40 PM)alexborow Wrote:  Antivirus with real time protection should prevent this from happening, but, because of the complex nature of malware these days, you can never be sure. One of the basic attribute of viruses is that they try to spread

I agree with your answer!!
05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
It's feasible that your hard drive may be going bad. I highly recommend backing up your information (any documents or files that you cannot basically re-install) to some kind of outside media - a CD, a USB thumb drive, outside hdd - heck, sometimes I zip things up and e-mail them to myself.You ought to do this right away, in case the drive goes down.
After you back up your information, you ought to run fsck on the drive to see if it can repair the issue. You should not try to run this from your desktop, though. I am definite there is an simple, direct way to get this completed, but I don't know it - so here's a slightly ugly way of going about it:It is highly unlikely that Ubuntu is causing the weird noises you are hearing. You'd probably be hearing them now if you'd stuck with XP.
First, you'll need to know what your main drive is called. Open a terminal (Applications menu > accessories > terminal) and type (or copy-paste) this:
07-01-2011, 09:12 AM
If the old units the same connectors as the new team, and has connections setter and a space for installation, then just stick 'em in The computer boots from his first CD as normal and to identify the two age units, with drive letters than usual. "My Computer", right click on each one, choose "format", "quick format" check, give them a name, the format is done.