Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Learning from Gizmodo
08-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Learning from Gizmodo
@Gizmodo got hacked recently on Twitter and issued a security report explaining what happened, and offering tips on how the rest of us in the Twitter-verse can better protect ourselves. A nefarious hacker gained entrance to Gizmodo through that of a former contributor’s (Mat Honan) iCloud account. Though he/she/they did far more destruction to Hanon, including infiltrating his Google account, then his Macbook Air, iPad and iPhone, wiping them clean, they accessed Gizmodo’s Twitter account from Honan’s.

To keep something like this happening to you, Gizmodo offers some tips to batten down the hatches and protect your accounts and data.

1. Use different passwords for each of your accounts, and make them super secure by combining upper and lower case letters, symbols and numbers.

2. Use two-step authentication on your accounts, like Google.

3. Clean up the permissions from old accounts or apps that you may no longer use. I try to do this yearly and remove all permissions, adding them back as I need them.

4. Back up, back up, and back up again. I have learned this lesson several times now, and have finally started doing it on a regular basis. Yes, I back up to the cloud, but I also have a separate hard-drive for nightly backups, and even sync important files and pictures to another wireless device.

It’s never too late to tighten your security, and we recommend starting now. Check out @Gizmodo for more ideas.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2012, 10:28 AM
RE: Learning from Gizmodo
Quote:3. Clean up the permissions from old accounts or apps that you may no longer use. I try to do this yearly and remove all permissions, adding them back as I need them.

How do you clean up old accounts and apps (like on facebook)? Is it difficult to do? I don't use iCloud at all anyway but I do have old gmail accounts and facebook apps
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply