Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I think my security has been compromised
09-17-2012, 05:16 PM
I think my security has been compromised
Hello everyone this will be the first support forum I have posted on I hope I post correctly.

First some basic information about my P.C. I have a Dell desktop my OS is Windows XP Home 32 bit. My antivirus and firewall is Comodo free version and my ISP is Veriizon and I am currently tethering my iphone 4 as a modem but want to impress upon you that I had the very same issues when I was with Century Link.

I have been battling this issue far to long than I care to say lol. When I turn my PC off about 40% of the time I get an error message that alerts me that other users are logged on and they may lose there data if I continue to shut down.

Now I am not linked to any other computers and there is only one user account on my PC and that is me and it is an administrative user account. Or at least thats what I thougt. After snooping around my system by going to my start button and right clicking eplore all users I found about 4 other administrative user accounts. one was password protected. All my virus scans are clean.

I have manged however to delete the other user accounts but I am still getting the alert (40% of the time when I turn my pc off about other users being logged on.

Also I see a long list of processes in my task manager. Some I am ok with others I just dont know below I will recreate the process list:

Unit.exe user is system
Firefox exe. user is new account 4 (mine)
wauuclt.exe user Mine
unit_mgr.exe user is system
ipod service.exe user is system
task mgr .exe user is mine
alg.exe user is local service
toolbarupdater.exe user is system
plug-in container.exe user is mine
apple mobile device user is system
tvnserver.exe user is system
svbchost.exe user is system
seaport.exe system

Im not sure how much detail you will need on this post so i will stop by saying that in my task manager processes the list continues with about 30 more processes.

Im not a gamer so I dont need many extras I just surf the net and research check my mail very basic tasks. I can post in as much detail or as little as you request just please try to help me. I am not sure how to attach my task manager so that you can look at it but perhaps you can in instruct me .

Thanks

Steph
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2012, 03:51 AM
RE: I think my security has been compromised
Looks like your machine is being remotely controlled in some way. You're saying you have managed to delete all the other accounts. Please do the following...

Make a new administrator account and put a password.
Change the password of your current account.
Make sure there are no other accounts you see in user accounts control panel. You can try doing start -> run -> control userpasswords2 to check all the existing accounts in the system.

Next the TVNserver.exe process you mentioned is most probably tightvnc which is used to remotely log on to a machine.

Uninstall tightvnc from installed programs. Check your system tray if you still see this. Also do start -> run -> services.msc to and disable tightvnc service from starting.

Start comodo firewall and block remote desktop and tightvnc connections or any other suspicious processes you find.

Let me know how it goes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-28-2012, 12:12 PM
I think the wauuclt.exe is also a virus. In my case wauuclt.exe disabled me to connect to internet and start eating my computer resources. I managed to remove it by using nortorn antivirus.
+Delete all the other user accounts
+Go to safe mode and try to run a full computer scan.
+Remove any extra and unused software from your computer.
+Turn off your computer connection while performing a full scan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2013, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2013 02:41 AM by Camron22.)
I think it can create more problem for you and if you have attached any security devices with your PC. Or connected that PC in any network that have any security devices connected with it.Because they can easily access through your PC.

There is no real security except for whatever you build inside yourself
11-27-2013, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 09:26 PM by Pierce Brosnan.)
Thanks for your suggestion. I really appreciate that you took all this time to try and help us. Keep up the good work. Keep on taking action.
06-17-2014, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2014 01:31 AM by jacksonking112.)
A compromised account is one that has been accessed by someone other than you. It usually means someone figured out your password (without your knowledge or consent) and was able to log in to your account.

If this seems to be the case with your account, we understand this can be very frustrating and want to help. AOL takes these issues very seriously. Please continue reading for more information on the next steps you should take.