Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Possible security threat?
10-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Possible security threat?
While using secure servers like webmail & etc, I notice at the bottom left corner of my screen showing status of my browser connecting to various websites including ADsites. One site that stands out is "i.c2sjs.info". I tried to do a whois lookup but don't have any info. Again, this is only happening when I'm using " HTTPSs' ". I've included a screenshot showing it at the bottom left corner.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2012, 02:52 AM
RE: Possible security threat?
It looks like either your browser is compromised or there is some addon / extension trying to contact to those sites. Try this with another browser and see what happens.

Second, try starting firefox in safe mode (all extensions disabled) and check if you notice this. Let me know.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2012, 04:27 AM
(10-11-2012 02:52 AM)Aakash Wrote:  It looks like either your browser is compromised or there is some addon / extension trying to contact to those sites. Try this with another browser and see what happens.

Second, try starting firefox in safe mode (all extensions disabled) and check if you notice this. Let me know.

Hi Aakash,

I don't use addons so I did the second option and it is working out well. It is not trying to connect anymore. I do not accept cookies and only allow exceptions only to sites I trust.

Now, I'm thinking if there is/was any chance that my passwords were tracked.

Thanks.
10-12-2012, 04:35 AM
Tracking of passwords is possible but chances are remote. Most of such programs are content with showing ads to users and tracking their surfing habits.

I'll still suggest you check your firefox addons (even if you don't use any) as well as plugins for anything installed by the adware / spyware. You may have to uninstall and install the latest version of firefox to get rid of this problem. I'll suggest you give PaleMoon browser a try. Pale Moon is just another firefox browser optimized for speed on Windows.
10-26-2012, 12:05 PM
I totally agree with you. One should check for plugins installed by adware/spyware. The best practice is to use a good anti-virus program.
12-13-2013, 09:38 PM
The greatest threat to computer systems and their information comes from humans, through actions that are either malicious or ignorant. When the action is malicious, some motivation or goal is generally behind the attack.
12-19-2014, 08:46 AM
When in doubt, have it checked out.You never know that is going on today with everybody having access through the internet, chances are it is something that can be fixed with spyware. Hope all is well.

David Hutchings