Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Facebook apps playing with user info
10-19-2010, 05:48 AM
Facebook apps playing with user info
Here's one more reason why you should refrain from extensive usage of facebook apps. No matter how cool and fun facebook apps appear, there are some downsides of using them. It has been found that many of Facebook's most popular apps are sharing personally identifiable information of their users with dozens of advertising and Internet-tracking companies, in violation of the social-networking giant's own rules, according to a Wall Street Journal report.

The issue provides access to users' names and, in some cases, the names of the app user's friends to at least 25 advertising and data firms, the Journal reported. The issue could affect tens of millions of users, according to the report. The Journal found that the 10 most popular apps, including Zynga's FarmVille, were transmitting user IDs--which can be used to look up a user's name--to third-party companies.

Data-gathering firm Rapleaf was able to link information gathered from those apps to its own database of Internet users, the report found. The San Francisco-based start-up provides a people search engine that lets you retrieve the name, age, and social-network affiliations of anyone, as long as you have his or her e-mail address.

The Journal reported that Rapleaf transmitted some of the information it obtained to third parties but told the newspaper that the transmission was unintentional. The issue is due to "referrer URLs," which tell sites which Web sites directed Internet users to sites, the company said in a statement.

"When we discovered that Facebook IDs were being passed to ad networks by applications that we work with, we immediately researched the cause and implemented a solution to cease the transmissions," Rapleaf said in a statement. "As of last week, no Facebook IDs are being transmitted to ad networks in conjunction with the use of any Rapleaf service."

"Our technical systems have always been complemented by strong policy enforcement, and we will continue to rely on both to keep people in control of their information," a Facebook representative said the statement.

The revelation spotlights the challenge Facebook faces in keeping user data private.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-2001982...ncol;posts
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2010, 08:09 PM
RE: Facebook apps playing with user info
Thanks for sharing your information i really do not about this infomation about facebook, i just cant imagine it can happen !!
Find all posts by this user
02-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Its really a great info. Thanks dude for sharing this great post.
12-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks for posting this info. I will be careful from now onward while using applications on Facebook.
06-26-2022, 05:10 AM
-
I wanted to create a CHLAUTH rule that only allows a connection if it comes from a specific IP address and by a specific user, but there is no way to get both of those conditions in one CHLAUTH command.

I have to do this: