Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need help with the FBI MoneyPak Virus
03-26-2013, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 03:46 AM by DougKendig.)
Need help with the FBI MoneyPak Virus
My 12 yr old Son picked up the FBI MoneyPak virus on his laptop and the problem we are having, trying to remove it, is accessing the screen to bring up BIOS so we can get into safe mode and disable this virus... it seems this particular strain of the virus has placed his monitor in Hybernate so we cannot access the BIOS on startup, which, in turn, means we cannot bring up safe mode.... I'm at a loss to finesse my way into his system so I can damage or disable this insidious menace long enough to get to safe mode... which is the first step to disabling this particular threat. SO, My question is: (1) Is there a way for me to access his hard drive using my AMD Athlon desktop through maybe a cable or even possibly pluggin up his hard drive cartridge itself on one of my expansions? and.. (2) does anyone know if this menace can get loose on my system if I try that?
We are contemplating a complete format here on his laptop, so... I would greatly appreciate any leads that preclude the necessity for it. Thanks!

His laptop is a Dell Inspiron mini running XP and my Desktop is an AMD Athlon custom built also on XP... His laptop has no CD capabilities so I can't boot from a disk... uhhh.. I'm stumpedHuh
Find all posts by this user
05-03-2013, 03:16 PM
RE: Need help with the FBI MoneyPak Virus
Okay I got the hard drive out of his laptop... so, since we are NOT putting that particular drive back into his laptop... and I have located an adapter to connect this infected hard drive to my desktop so we can rescue his stuff off there for his new PC... if I use this thing http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-HD-to-3-5-in...4165db3a2f can anyone tell me if this FBI Moneypak virus will get loose on my desktop PC? I have an AV app installed, but, his laptop didn't catch this virus so, should I expect my desktop wont either?

The old laptop drive is a 160 gig Western Digital model # WD1600BEVT-75ZCT2 WD Blue

I'm wanting to try to connect it to my desktop pc using the IDE/ATA Cable... through the adapter I purchased above...
we replaced the old drive with this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Western-Digita...e/15523686 and I would like to move files from the old drive, to my desktop pc, then to his new drive using a flash card or something... does anyone know if this virus will get loose on my desktop if I try to access his old files on the infected drive? will an AV scan of that drive remove the FBIMoneypak files from that drive before I try to open any files on it using my desktop? man I DO NOT wanna buy three new drives for my desktop too... this BS is gettin expensive... we took his laptop to a shop (40 bucks for an evaluation) and the guy wanted like 179 bucks to do what I solved with a 79 dollar replacement drive (a better one at that) and a bootleg copy of windows... I picked up a 5 dollar adapter to hook this sucker to my PC, but, I need to know before I plug this little pack of poison into my system if I should expect to blow another 500 bucks on my desktop.... he's got files on that old drive he really wants to keep... should I just call it toast and be done with it or can I safely get to the files we want to keep? I aint movin til I get a reply from somebody... I feel like I'm lookin down the barrel of a shotgun as it is...
05-04-2013, 12:21 AM
You can connect the infected drive to your desktop after updating your antivirus app with the latest virus definitions. BTW, which antivirus are you using? Free or Paid?

As far as data recovery is concerned, you can get all your important data from the drive provided your infected drive is in working condition, but there are chances that the files may be infected with the virus. So, better would be to run a linux live CD. You can actually make them bootable with a pen drive. Then extract all the files off the drive you need. Since linux is nearly virus free. This virus won't be easily able to infect the live distribution.

will an AV scan of that drive remove the FBIMoneypak files from that drive before I try to open any files on it using my desktop?
That depends on how good your antivirus app is and if it's updated to the latest version.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-04-2013, 11:36 AM
(05-04-2013 12:21 AM)Aakash Wrote:  You can connect the infected drive to your desktop after updating your antivirus app with the latest virus definitions. BTW, which antivirus are you using? Free or Paid?

As far as data recovery is concerned, you can get all your important data from the drive provided your infected drive is in working condition, but there are chances that the files may be infected with the virus. So, better would be to run a linux live CD. You can actually make them bootable with a pen drive. Then extract all the files off the drive you need. Since linux is nearly virus free. This virus won't be easily able to infect the live distribution.

will an AV scan of that drive remove the FBIMoneypak files from that drive before I try to open any files on it using my desktop?
That depends on how good your antivirus app is and if it's updated to the latest version.

Well...we havent installed an AV on his new drive yet because he's not allowed to go back online until we figure out a way to make sure this doesn't happen again, so, if you have a recommendation for his new drive, we will go with that. On my drive I'm using Microsoft's "Security Essentials" which seems to be working fine for me. It was free from the Microsoft site, so I figure it was probably going to be updated pretty regularly. Now we got five computers in the house and I got one with Norton..and another with McAfees.. and I should be able to use the adapter on any one of them.. so... I'm open for suggestions there. If I do this on my desktop here, Should I get something stronger than MS Sec Essentials? I use this one for my company business "Kendig Remodeling"...and I have client files on here... so, there's an old Compaq in the kids room I could use...its running Norton but its offline. I could hook it to the router. What you suggest with the Linux Live CD and the Pen Drive..I would need to purchase a pen drive to boot the infected disk? I dont think I wanna do that on the other computers or this one... until the thing is cleaned off right? Best to just run the adapter and scan the drive with Norton or something yes? Confirm this for me please before we wreck another box ...God Bless you and I appreciate your advice. Many thanks!
05-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Norton is good enough for this. You have to ensure it's updated to the latest definitions. Since, your machine carrying norton is offline, I doubt it's updated. You'll want to update the norton AV on it first, get back offline, connect your infected drive and do a thorough scan on it. MSE though is a fine antivirus it sometimes misses some viruses here and there. And since your important client data is on your Desktop running MSE, I'd not suggest you use it to clean off the drive.
The bootable pen drive with linux carrying an antivirus engine is the last step and should only be used if you know what you're doing. For now its' best to thoroughly scan it with norton.
05-07-2013, 08:24 AM
(05-05-2013 02:16 AM)Aakash Wrote:  Norton is good enough for this. You have to ensure it's updated to the latest definitions. Since, your machine carrying norton is offline, I doubt it's updated. You'll want to update the norton AV on it first, get back offline, connect your infected drive and do a thorough scan on it. MSE though is a fine antivirus it sometimes misses some viruses here and there. And since your important client data is on your Desktop running MSE, I'd not suggest you use it to clean off the drive.
The bootable pen drive with linux carrying an antivirus engine is the last step and should only be used if you know what you're doing. For now its' best to thoroughly scan it with norton.

I've got it and we were able to recover nearly everything... Norton did find several pieces of this FBI MoneyPak Virus and some other junk we couldn't identify or remove, but, it wont matter because this one is going in the trash... the files were what was important and we will not take any chances with this mess infecting a new drive. Thank you Aakash. Your time and advice is a blessing. It will not go unrecognized in this house! You've probably saved me about 200 to 300 bucks and some irreplaceable photo and school work files... (not to mention his gaming stats and certain other 12-year-old priority e-mail downloads hahaha Kudos to you friend... and whoever moderates this site needs to add another star to your ranking here! and a jovial "You ROCK!" from one 12 year old who now has his system back up and online Smile
05-10-2013, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up Doug! Smile
I'm glad I could help. Good to see you got all your important data intact.
Thread Closed